With Darren Sproles set to become a free agent this offseason, the Chargers are faced with a pretty tough decision: Darren Sproles or LaDainian Tomlinson?
While the decision may not come down to those exact terms — they could keep both — it will be under the microscope after San Diego let Michael Turner walk last year. We all saw how that worked out for Atlanta and San Diego in 2008, which led to claims that the Chargers should have kept Turner last year and cut ties with an aging (declining?) LT.
I have my doubts about Sproles as an every-down back. But if he hits the market after the postseason he had this year, some team is going to throw a bunch of money his way. The Chargers may again have to let Tomlinson’s back-up running back walk away and be prepared for media scrutiny next season should he work out — like Turner did — somewhere else.
Here are today’s great reads:
- Roger Goodell likes to sit in the stands like a normal fan for a December football game. [The Big Lead]
- There are mixed reviews regarding ESPN.com’s new look, but I like the new digs. [Fantasy Football Fools]
- These 2009 fantasy rankings are subject to change this offseason, but off the bat I think Drew Brees deserves the No. 1 spot at quarterback over Peyton Manning. [SI.com]
- Jake Delhomme might have played his way out of Charlotte on Saturday against the Cardinals. [ProFootballTalk]
- Tim Tebow made a pretty smart decision to return to Florida next year. It gives him another year to work on his passing game before entering the NFL. [The Big Lead]
For more great reads, check out my Google Reader Shared Items page.